Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
MONTAGUE — Hart girls basketball coach Travis Rosema has experienced more than his share of struggles in Montague’s gymnasium.
The host Wildcats made life difficult on Rosema and the Pirates again Thursday night in the CatchMark SportsNet West Michigan Conference Game of the Week.
Hart did find a way, however, in battling back from an early deficit and pulling out a 45-41 victory over a game Montague squad in an entertaining WMC nondivisional contest. It was Rosema’s second win in 11 tries in Montague’s gym.
Watch the livestream replay here:
Here are notables and more details from the game:
- Montague lead 9-2 at the end of the first quarter. In fact, Hart had only two points on the board until about 5:40 remained in the first half, when Pirates junior Abby Hicks scored a bucket.
- Hart trailed 20-15 at halftime. Sophomore Addi Hovey scored five quick points to tie it early in the third quarter, then senior Mariana VanAgtmael’s free throw put the Pirates ahead, 21-20.
- Hovey, who battled foul trouble all night, picked up her fourth with 5:22 left in the third and the Pirates clinging to a 23-20 lead.
- Montague took the lead one more time, 27-26, with about three minutes left in the third on a driving layup by sophomore Adilynn Peterson.
- Hart led 34-27 through three quarters, but Montague did not go away. The Pirates made just one field goal in the fourth quarter, but they converted enough free throws to hold on.
- Hicks led Hart with 13 points, 10 rebounds, six steals and five assists.
- Hart senior Aspen Boutell finished with 11 points, five rebounds and four steals.
- Hovey totaled 10 points and four rebounds.
- VanAgtmael added nine points in the balanced Hart effort.
- Montague sophomore Addison Pranger led all scorers with 15 points. She also grabbed seven rebounds.
- Montague senior Emma Peterson had eight points and two assists.
- Montague senior Haylee Schwarz finished with six points and nine rebounds.
- Hart was 12-of-22 from the free-throw line compared to 4-of-9 for Montague.
- Hart improves to 9-2 overall. The Pirates are 6-0 in the WMC Rivers Division, sitting alone in first place.
- Montague is 7-5 overall and 4-2 in the WMC Lakes, tied for second in the division with Oakridge behind first-place Ludington.
- Next games: Hart hosts rival Shelby on Tuesday (Jan. 24). On the same night, Montague travels to Orchard View.
/ 1 day ago
Ludington girls edge Oakridge to remain unbeaten in Lakes Division.
/ 1 day ago
Wildcats complete regular-season sweep of rival Vikings after overcoming rough first quarter.
/ 2 days ago
Anna Lundquist and Andrea Romero-Serrano aim to lead Eagles to strong finish to the...