MANISTEE — Max Miles hadn’t played a football game in a couple years. The Manistee junior wasted very little time re-acclimating himself.
The 5-foot-9, 140-pound speedster returned the opening kickoff 86 yards for a touchdown in jump-starting Manistee to a 54-6 season-opening victory over visiting Holton in the North Grove Brewers West Michigan Conference Game of the Week Friday night at Chippewa Field.
Miles added a 34-yard scoring run moments later as the Chippewas had their way with the inexperienced Red Devils, who a few weeks ago weren’t even sure if they’d field a varsity football team this season because of low participation numbers over the summer.
Manistee and Holton are both newcomers to the West Michigan Conference. The Chippewas are competing in the Lakes Division, while the Red Devils are in the Rivers Division.
At the top of this story is CatchMark SportsNet’s livestream of the game, complete with broadcasters, multiple camera angles and graphics. Below are a photo gallery, more details from the game and a reaction video:
Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
- Manistee built a 20-0 lead after one quarter and 35-0 advantage by halftime, which led to a running clock in the second half.
- Manistee outgained Holton in total offense, 388-83, including a 338-34 advantage in the running game.
- Each team was penalized seven times: Manistee for 80 yards and Holton for 50 yards.
- Trevor Spencer led Manistee with 124 rushing yards and two touchdowns on just six carries.
- Kaden Kott added 87 rushing yards and one TD on five carries for the Chippewas.
- Nick Hornkohl and Isaiah Davis also had TD runs for Manistee, while Jeff Huber hit Matthew Thies on a 50-yard scoring pass.
- Trevor Adamczak paced Manistee defensively with seven unassisted tackles and three assists. He had one tackle for loss.
- Braydon Sorenson notched eight total stops for the Chippewas, including a tackle for loss.
- Manistee two-way lineman Caden VanSickle, a 6-foot-4, 270-pound senior who holds an offer from Michigan Tech, had five tackles including two stops for lost yardage.
- Isaiah Davis also recorded five tackles for the Chippewas.
- In Week 2, Manistee travels to Mason County Central in another West Michigan Conference nondivisional game, while Holton hosts Perry in nonleague action. Both games kick off at 7 p.m. Thursday.
/ 4 hours ago
Defense sets the tone for Vikings in their 2-0 start.
/ 10 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to email@example.com.
/ 11 hours ago
Wildcats are off to a 2-1 start in the young season.