Photos by Bethany McCullough | CatchMark
MUSKEGON — Bryan Convertini’s 2-yard touchdown plunge early in the fourth quarter proved the difference as Muskegon Catholic Central edged North Muskegon, 24-22, in a hard-fought opener of the Hackley Stadium Showcase on Friday.
The Norsemen had led throughout the contest prior to the short scoring run by the Crusaders’ quarterback.
Here are notables and other details from the game:
- North Muskegon QB James Young finished 25-of-35 passing for 278 yards with two TDs and one interception.
- Ben Meyers was Young’s top receiving target, hauling in six passes for 91 yards and a TD for the Norse.
- North Muskegon’s Carsen Moat had three receptions for 72 yards and a TD.
- Denny Belmonte was North Muskegon’s leading rusher with 35 yards on eight carries.
- Sam Gallo paced North Muskegon defensively with 8 1/2 tackles, followed by Meyers with 7 1/2, including 1 1/2 tackles for lost yardage. Belmonte made five stops.
- North Muskegon outgained MCC in total offense, 313-227. The Crusaders held a 169-35 advantage in rushing yards.
- MCC’s David Hill led all rushers with 87 yards on six carries.
- This game was the opener of the Hackley Stadium Showcase at Muskegon’s Hackley Stadium. In the nightcap, the host Big Reds rallied in the second half for a 20-14 victory over East Kentwood.
- North Muskegon next visits Orchard View at 7 p.m. Thursday in a West Michigan Conference nondivisional matchup.
- Muskegon Catholic Central hosts Oakridge at 7 p.m. Thursday in a nonleague showdown. Last season, the Crusaders pulled out a 30-28 last-second victory on the Eagles’ field.
/ 8 hours ago
See where the teams stack up through games played Feb. 6.
/ 8 hours ago
Longtime athletic trainer and sports medicine manager for Trinity Health Muskegon has seen it...
/ 9 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email yor results to firstname.lastname@example.org.