Photos by Bethany McCullough | CatchMark
RAVENNA — A strong first half by Ravenna was not enough to offset Beal City’s second-half rally in a season-opening football game won in the final seconds by the visiting Aggies, 22-21, Friday night at Citizens Field.
With 20.9 seconds remaining, Jack Fussman’s 14-yard touchdown pass to Carter Fussman followed by a two-point conversion pass from Jack Fussman to Cayden Smith made the difference for Beal City as the Aggies avenged last year’s 21-20 home loss to the Bulldogs.
Cramps played a big factor in the game for Ravenna, which was missing as many as six players at one time in the second half.
Here are notables and other details from the game:
- Ravenna senior quarterback Hunter Hogan ran 19 times for 91 yards and two touchdowns. He scored on first-half TD runs of 8 and 17 yards. Hogan also completed 7 of 15 passes for 113 yards.
- Ravenna junior Drew Mabrito scored on a 9-yard run in the second quarter as the Bulldogs took a 21-0 lead into the halftime break.
- Ravenna senior Nathan Kooiman led his team defensively with six tackles, while Hogan made 5 1/2 stops.
- Ravenna junior Chase Thomas caught two passes for 41 yards and notched a pair of interceptions on the other side of the ball.
- Ravenna outgained Beal City in total offense, 201-178.
- Beal City quarterback Jack Fairman finished 8-of-17 passing for 98 yards and TDs tosses to three different receivers. He also rushed 11 times for a team-high 61 yards.
- The schedule does not get any easier for next week for Ravenna, which hosts Montague at 7 p.m. Thursday in the North Grove Brewers West Michigan Conference Game of the Week.
- Beal City returns home in Week 2 for a 7 p.m. Friday contest against McBain.
Baseball/ 1 day ago
Montague father, son eager for special baseball season together
Jeff Moss is in his first season as Wildcats' head coach and son Nick...
News/ 2 days ago
CatchMark Scoreboard: Spring sports results in the West Michigan Conference (March 24)
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Baseball/ 3 days ago
Michigan State signee powers Mona Shores past Montague in 2023 baseball season opener
Senior standout Jaxon Huffman pitches, hits in leading Sailors to 7-0 win over Wildcats...