Photos by CJ Bennett for CatchMark
North Muskegon is the measuring stick in West Michigan Conference Rivers Division football at the moment.
That was proven in North Muskegon’s 34-14 victory over host Hart in a matchup of unbeatens Friday night.
While Hart appears to be rising as a program, North Muskegon resides at the top of the heap until somebody can knock off the Norse.
In the latest Associated Press Michigan high school football polls, North Muskegon was ranked No. 2 in Division 7 and Hart was No. 8 in Division 6.
North Muskegon junior quarterback James Young led the way to Friday’s victory with his passing and running.
North Muskegon stays unbeaten on the season at 5-0 overall and 3-0 in the WMC Rivers. Hart is 4-1 and 1-1, respectively.
The Norsemen are off to a 5-0 start for the first time since 1988.
Here are more details and notables from the game:
- Young finished 10-of-14 passing for 157 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions for the Norsemen. He connected with senior Alec Newville on a 24-yard scoring pass and with freshman Cullen Bartos on an 18-yard TD toss. Young also ran for a team-high 97 yards and a TD (3 yards) on five carries.
- North Muskegon senior Tristan Thomas ran 14 times for 80 yards and a TD (10 yards).
- Bartos rushed five times for 52 yards and a TD (2 yards).
- North Muskegon senior Landon Christensen caught four passes for 74 yards.
- North Muskegon junior TJ Byard had two receptions for 44 yards.
- North Muskegon junior Henry Hussman led the defense with eight tackles.
- North Muskegon junior Chuck Meyers finished with six tackles.
- North Muskegon senior AJ Larkin notched five tackles and an interception.
- Bartos had five tackles for the Norsemen.
- North Muskegon junior kicker Owen Booth went 3-for-3 on PATs.
- Hart senior Joseluis Andaverde ran 19 times for 77 yards and a TD.
- Hart junior Eman Hertzler caught a 30-yard TD pass.
- As a team, the Pirates rushed for 158 yards on 36 carries.
- Chase Gale had a big game defensively for Hart with 14 tackles, including a sack.
- Based upon this season and last, Hart has made progress. The Pirates lost to the Norsemen last season, 55-14.
- Next Friday, North Muskegon hosts Montague (2-3) in a WMC nondivisional game, while Hart welcomes Mason County Central (3-2, 2-1 WMC Rivers) in a Rivers Division matchup.
/ 30 mins ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
/ 2 hours ago
Wildcats are off to a 2-1 start in the young season.
/ 21 hours ago
Vikings players Taylor Ottinger and Lianna Fagan and assistant coach Emily MacArthur pay homage...