Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
SHELBY — Mason County Central’s girls basketball team learned some lessons from its first defeat of the season last Thursday against Hart.
The Spartans moved on quickly, posting a convincing victory in their very next game five days later.
Despite a bit of a slow start, Mason County Central got it rolling in a 50-24 victory over host Shelby Tuesday night in the CatchMark SportsNet West Michigan Conference Game of the Week.
Mason County Central improved to 7-1 overall and 4-1 in the WMC Rivers Division, one game behind Hart, which defeated MCC on the Spartans’ home court, 54-38.
Shelby is now 5-5 overall and 4-2 in the WMC Rivers.
Watch a replay of the livestream here carried on the CatchMark SportsNet YouTube channel:
Here are more details and notables from the MCC-Shelby game:
- MCC sophomore guard Mallory Miller led all scorers with 13 points to go with five assists and three steals.
- MCC sophomore Eva Hradel contributed six points and eight rebounds.
- MCC junior Grace Weinert added five assists and four steals.
- MCC senior Charlie Banks grabbed seven rebounds.
- Shelby senior Aubrey Klotz led her team with 10 points, three rebounds and two assists.
- Shelby junior Molli Schultz scored six points.
- Shelby junior Biloxi Lee hustled to a game-high 14 rebounds to go along with four points.
- MCC got on the board first, but Shelby answered with a 3-pointer by Schultz to hold an early 3-2 lead. The Tigers held that lead for a bit until the Spartans shook off the rust and answered with a 7-0 run to close the first quarter.
- MCC outscored Shelby 25-5 in the second quarter to build a 34-8 lead and effectively put the game out of reach.
- Next up for both teams: Mason County Central hosts Hesperia in a WMC Rivers contest on Friday, while Shelby welcomes White Cloud in a nonleague game next Monday.
- Next week, MCC faces a big nonconference test when the Spartans travel north to Maple City Glen Lake to take on the top-ranked team in Division 4. Last season, Glen Lake advanced to the Division 3 state semifinals before falling to eventual state champion Ypsilanti Arbor Prep. Glen Lake is 6-0 so far this season.
/ 10 hours ago
Vikings players Taylor Ottinger and Lianna Fagan and assistant coach Emily MacArthur pay homage...
/ 14 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
/ 2 days ago
Balanced Whitehall opens defense of WMC Lakes co-title with runaway win at Orchard View.