Photos by Mike Taylor | CatchMark
MUSKEGON — Matt Danicek passed for two touchdowns, rushed for another and intercepted a pass in leading Oakridge to a 30-14 season-opening football victory over visiting Sparta Thursday night at Russell A. Erickson Stadium.
Danicek completed 14 of 18 passes for 208 yards with two TDs and no interceptions, plus he ran 16 times for a game-high 82 yards.
Oakridge led 22-8 at halftime before the teams traded second-half scores.
Here are details and notables from the game:
- Oakridge’s Evan Miller made six receptions for 60 yards and two TDs. Ty Maitland caught four passes for 67 yards.
- Oakridge’s Trever Jones ran 16 times for 62 yards. He also notched five tackles defensively, including one for lost yardage.
- Oakridge’s Brody Jennings led his team defensively with eight tackles, while Brian Elizondo made seven stops and picked off a pass.
- Oakridge outgained Sparta in total offense, 371-231. The Eagles outrushed the Spartans, 163-60.
- Oakridge was 4-for-5 in red-zone opportunities.
- Oakridge dominated in time of possession, 30:30-17:30.
- Nic Gordon led Sparta by going 12-of-24 passing with two TDs and two interceptions.
- Jeremiah Rozema paced Sparta defensively with eight tackles.
- Next week, Oakridge travels across town for another nonconference game as the Eagles take on Muskegon Catholic Central. In Week 9 last season, MCC pulled out a dramatic 30-28 victory at Oakridge in the final seconds.
Baseball/ 2 days ago
Montague father, son eager for special baseball season together
Jeff Moss is in his first season as Wildcats' head coach and son Nick...
News/ 2 days ago
CatchMark Scoreboard: Spring sports results in the West Michigan Conference (March 24)
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to email@example.com.
Baseball/ 3 days ago
Michigan State signee powers Mona Shores past Montague in 2023 baseball season opener
Senior standout Jaxon Huffman pitches, hits in leading Sailors to 7-0 win over Wildcats...