Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
WHITEHALL — According to Oakridge volleyball coach Robert Rieger, it’s been 41 years since the Eagles have captured a district title.
They’ll get a shot Thursday night (Nov. 2, 2023).
Oakridge swept Orchard View, 25-15, 25-10, 25-17, in a Division 2 district semifinal Wednesday at Whitehall.
Oakridge (19-17-1) will take on Fremont (34-15-1), which outlasted Whitehall in a five-set thriller, in the district finals set for 7 p.m. Thursday.
Oakridge and Fremont have played twice previously this season. In the West Michigan Conference Lakes Division tournament Oct. 21 at Manistee, the Eagles edged the Packers, 25-16, 14-25, 15-13. In a WMC Lakes match four days earlier at Fremont, the Packers swept the Eagles in three close sets, 25-22, 27-25, 25-20.
Here are more details and notables from Wednesday’s Oakridge/Orchard View match:
- Oakridge senior Madison Babinec totaled 14 kills and three aces. The 5-foot-11 Babinec is taking her volleyball talents to Muskegon Community College.
- Oakridge senior Kaelinn Jozsa had eight kills and one ace.
- Oakridge senior Ahria Doornbos contributed three kills, four aces, and 1.5 blocks.
- Oakridge seniro Mallori Whipple had six aces and four kills.
- Oakridge senior Brianna Schaallema added three kills.
- Oakridge junior Gracie Williea recorded 25 assists, three aces, two kills, and half a block.
- No stats were submitted for Orchard View.
- Oakridge defeated Orchard View in a WMC Lakes Division match Oct. 3 at home, 25-13, 25-8, 25-13.
- Rieger said it had been eight years since Oakridge had won a district volleyball match.
/ 17 hours ago
Defense sets the tone for Vikings in their 2-0 start.
/ 21 hours ago
Get the details from five Tuesday night contests reported to CatchMark.
/ 21 hours ago
Vikings junior totals 16 points, 23 rebounds, 6 blocks, 3 assists, and 1 steal...