Photos by Laura Moat for CatchMark
NORTH MUSKEGON — Troy McManus scored 10 of his game-high 20 points in the first quarter as host North Muskegon jumped ahead of Montague and stayed there in a West Michigan Conference nondivisional boys basketball game Thursday.
“We jumped out ahead early as Troy McManus scored 10 in the quarter. The rest of the game was real even,” North Muskegon coach Chuck Rypstra said.
“Neither team shot it exceptionally well, thus the lower score. If you like defense and toughness, then this was a game for you. The third quarter saw Montague claw back in to make it a four-point game, but we hit a few and the lead was back to 10.”
Here are more details and notables from the game:
- McManus, a 6-foot-2 senior guard, added five rebounds and three assists for the Norsemen.
- North Muskegon sophomore James Young had nine points and eight rebounds.
- North Muskegon senior Sam Gallo contributed eight points, three steals and two blocks.
- North Muskegon senior Brandon Rypstra notched three assists, while senior Carsen Moat came through with two rebounds, one steal, one assist and two blocks in limited big-man minutes.
- Montague junior Owen Raeth paced his team with 10 points and three rebounds.
- Montague junior Isaiah Atchison finished with seven points, eight rebounds and two blocks.
- Montague junior Paul Olson had six points and five rebounds.
- Montague seniors Braeden Johnston and Rodney Brassfield each grabbed five rebounds.
- North Muskegon improves to 6-2 overall. The Norsemen are 2-2 in WMC Rivers Division play.
- Montague is now 4-5 overall. The Wildcats are 2-2 in WMC Lakes action.
- Next games: North Muskegon hosts Wyoming Potter’s House on Monday (Jan. 16), while Montague heads to Manistee on Tuesday (Jan. 17).
Player of the Week/ 8 hours ago
Vote for CatchMark SportsNet Player of the Week (May 22-27, 2023)
The poll will remain open until noon on Friday, June 2.
Profile of the Week/ 20 hours ago
Hope springs eternal for strong-willed Whitehall track and field phenom
Aquinas College signee Maelie Hope excels in throws and sprints. She might be more...
Track/ 20 hours ago
Hart, Manistee compete in MITCA Division 3 team track state finals at Clare
Pirates boys place seventh, girls eighth; Manistee girls finish 10th.