Photos by Emily Vanderstelt for CatchMark
MONTAGUE — Cam Thompson was his usual self Thursday night.
Whitehall’s 6-foot-5 standout sophomore wing packed the stat sheet with 26 points, 15 rebounds, seven assists, three steals and four blocks. When his teammates get into the act, too, look out.
Whitehall rained in 3-pointers from all over the court, finishing 14-of-26 from deep en route to an 84-49 runaway victory over host rival Montague in the CatchMark SportsNet West Michigan Conference Game of the Week.
With the win, Whitehall improves to 12-5 overall and 6-1 in the WMC Lakes Division, one game behind division-leading Ludington (15-1, 8-0) in the loss column. Next week, the Vikings visit Manistee on Tuesday and travel to Ludington on Friday. Whitehall’s showdown at Ludington will be the CatchMark SportsNet WMC Game of the Week.
Montague (9-7, 5-3) hosts Ludington on Tuesday and visits Fremont next Friday.
Watch a replay of CatchMark’s free livestream of the Whitehall-Montague game here:
Here are more details and notes from the game, including a highlights and reaction video and another photo gallery:
- Whitehall swept the regular-season series against Montague, having beaten the Wildcats 58-48 on Dec. 15 at Whitehall. The Vikings retained “The Bridge Trophy.”
- In Whitehall’s previous meeting with Ludington, the Vikings dropped a 63-52 home decision on Jan. 6.
- Thompson shot well from the floor (9-of-12) and 3-point arc (2-of-3), but he was off a little bit from the free-throw line (6-of-11).
- As a team, Whitehall shot 32-of-57 (56 percent) from the floor but only 6-of-15 (40 percent) from the foul line. Montague shot 33 percent from the floor (19-of-57) and 22 percent (2-of-9) from deep.
- Whitehall edged Montague in rebounding, 34-32.
- Whitehall senior Jack Houtteman continued his strong play with 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting from the floor, including 4-of-6 marksmanship from the 3-point line.
- Whitehall junior Ca’Mar Ready sparked the Vikings with 13 points and three rebounds off the bench.
- Whitehall junior DJ Jamison provided 10 points, including a pair of 3-pointers, plus a couple steals in a reserve role.
- Whitehall senior Nate Bolley supplied some added offense with nine points.
- Seven different Vikings hit at least one 3-pointer, including reserves Maddox Varela and Jordan Whelpley.
- Montague senior Owen Petersen led his team with 11 points, all in the first half.
- Montague senior DaCarri Williams had nine points, three assists and three steals off the bench.
Photos by Kiarra Mikkelsen for CatchMark
/ 16 hours ago
Defense sets the tone for Vikings in their 2-0 start.
/ 20 hours ago
Get the details from five Tuesday night contests reported to CatchMark.
/ 21 hours ago
Vikings junior totals 16 points, 23 rebounds, 6 blocks, 3 assists, and 1 steal...