MONTAGUE — Montague played an old-school brand of football, relying on a stingy defense to overtake Fremont, 20-0, on the Wildcats’ homecoming night Friday at Townsend Athletic Complex.
Despite running 26 fewer plays than Fremont, maintaining possession for about 14 fewer minutes and being outgained 211-132 in total offense, Montague found a way to snap a three-game losing streak.
The Wildcats improve to 3-4 overall and 2-2 in the West Michigan Conference Lakes Division. The Packers are now 4-3 overall and 1-3 in the WMC Lakes.
Watch the livestream replay above, check out the photo gallery here and take a look at the details and reaction video below.
Photos by Kiara Mikkelsen for CatchMark
Here are notables and other details from the game:
- Montague’s defense forced five turnovers on the night with three of them coming on interceptions. Seniors Chase Gowell and Michael Moore, and junior Paul Olson came up with picks.
- Montague junior Brody Dietz led his team with 10 solo tackles. Senior Rodney Brassfield was close behind with eight stops.
- With starting running back Adam Baird out, Montague junior Austin Cook ran 19 times for 46 yards and two touchdowns. Cook scored on 1-yard runs in the second and third quarters.
- Gowell completed all eight of his passes for 57 yards, including an 8-yard TD toss to junior Isaiah Atchison.
- Fremont senior running back Justin Dirheimer was a workhorse for Fremont, as he carried the ball 38 times for 168 yards.
- Fremont senior Michael Romero led his team with 6.5 tackles, for of them solos. Senior Owen VandenBerg notched 5.5 stops for the Packers.
- Fremont converted 6 of 10 fourth-down opportunities.
- Fremont controlled the ball all game. The Packers had possession of the football for almost 31 minutes compared to barely 17 minutes for Montague.
- Next Friday, Montague travels to Manistee while Fremont hosts Whitehall.
/ 18 mins ago
Mason County Central's Brian Beebe and North Muskegon's Jill Young win debuts at respective...
/ 5 hours ago
Defense sets the tone for Vikings in their 2-0 start.
/ 11 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to email@example.com.