Photos by Bethany McCullough | CatchMark
HART — Hart is getting quite accustomed to keeping the “Blood, Sweat & Tears” jug in its possession.
That’s where it will stay, too, after host Hart defeated arch-rival Shelby, 38-6, in a West Michigan Conference Rivers Division opener for both squads Friday night.
For the sixth time in seven years since Hart reinstituted a varsity football team in 2016, the Pirates have won rights to keeping the jug.
Here are notables and other details from the game:
- Hart was very balanced in its rushing attack. Four players racked up 50 or more yards along the ground, led by junior Connor Edwards with 85 yards on eight carries. Edwards scored a touchdown and added a two-point conversion. Joseluis Andaverde was next with 83 yards and a TD on 14 attempts, while Eman Hertzler ran nine times for 73 yards. Trayce Tate added 50 yards on 12 carries.
- Hart’s Austin Martinez also scored a rushing TD, finishing with 34 yards on seven carries.
- Hart quarterback Trenton Swihart finished 2-of-6 passing for 60 yards and a touchdown. That TD pass went to Edwards, covering 26 yards.
- In total, Hart ran for 336 yards on 53 attempts. The Pirates finished with 396 yards of offense.
- Hart’s Guillermo Ortega made a 37-yard field goal and three PATs, plus he recorded three touchbacks.
- Hart’s Adrian Tice notched five tackles in the strong defensive effort for the Pirates.
- Shelby got on the board on a 15-yard TD pass from Lalo Garcia to Levi Cooley.
- Hart’s second straight win puts the Pirates at 2-1 overall and 1-0 in the WMC Rivers Division. Next Friday, they visit Muskegon Heights Academy for a nonconference matchup. In Week 5, Hart heads to North Muskegon for a big game in the WMC Rivers Division.
- Shelby slips to 0-3 on the season. The Tigers visit Ravenna next Friday, then head to Hesperia in Week 5. Their homecoming game is in Week 6 against Holton.
/ 1 hour ago
Savanna Owens, Abby Pretty continue to push as Pirates seek a record sixth straight...
/ 1 day ago
Take a trip around the league in Week 5.
/ 1 day ago
Orioles wipe out 14-0 halftime deficit to post 34-14 win in their home opener.