Photos by Kiara Mikkelsen for CatchMark
MONTAGUE – Thanks to the explosive combination of Adam Baird and Chase Gowell, Montague’s football team got back on track with a 42-6 home victory over Orchard View Friday night.
The Wildcats won their West Michigan Conference Lakes Division opener and regrouped following last week’s tough 14-7 loss at Ravenna.
Montague gained back some momentum entering next Friday’s “Battle for the Bell” showdown at arch-rival Whitehall.
Here are notables and more details from the game:
- Gowell was a crisp 9-of-10 passing for 174 yards with two touchdowns to guide Montague’s well-balanced offense.
- Baird led Montague on the ground with 117 yards and three TDs on just nine carries.
- Baird and Owen Petersen were the recipients Gowell’s TD passes. Baird had two receptions for 75 yards, while Petersen made two catches for 30 yards.
- Silas Jancek and Austin Cook led Montague’s defense with nine solo tackles apiece. Michael Moore finished with six solos to reinforce the contain unit.
- Orchard View’s Chris Ashburn scored his team’s lone TD of the night with a 28-yard rush in the second quarter. Ashburn paced the Cardinals with 48 yards on nine attempts.
- Orchard View rushed for 186 yards, only 20 fewer than Montague.
- Montague was playing a little shorthanded against Orchard View. A couple of key players had to sit after being ejected from the game against Ravenna for flagrant penalties.
- Montague is 2-1 overall and 1-0 in the WMC Lakes Division. The Wildcats head across the bridge next Friday for their “Battle for the Bell” showdown against Whitehall, which is 3-0. Whitehall won last year’s matchup against Montague, 34-14, at Whitehall.
- Orchard View slips to 0-3 on the season.
- At halftime, Montague honored the 1972 and 1992 football teams. The 1972 squad finished 8-0 and outscored opponents by a combined 187-9 tally. The 1992 team was the first in school history to advance to the state finals, finishing 12-1 after a tough loss to Detroit St. Martin dePorres in the Class CC finals at the Pontiac Silverdome.
/ 5 hours ago
Nick Thaler picks up victory in first game as Montague's boys basketball coach.
/ 5 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to email@example.com.
/ 1 day ago
David Shillinger pours in 40 points as Ludington rallies past Grant and pulls away.