Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
MONTAGUE — In her previous five seasons as Montague’s head girls soccer coach, Kara Raeth’s Wildcats had not beaten rival Whitehall.
In Raeth’s estimation, the Wildcats had not topped the Vikings in girls soccer in at least a decade.
Montague made up for lost time on a cold and rainy Monday, handing visiting Whitehall an 8-0, mercy-rule loss in the CatchMark SportsNet West Michigan Conference Game of the Week.
You can watch a replay of the livestream here:
Here are more details and notables from the game:
- It’s Montague’s second mercy-rule victory in WMC play in two weeks, as the Wildcats defeated Orchard View 8-0 on April 26.
- Montague was coming off a hard-fought 1-0 loss at North Muskegon on Friday. North Muskegon sits atop the WMC standings at 4-0-0 (5-3-1 overall), while Montague is 3-1-0 and 4-3-0, respectively.
- Whitehall (3-5-1 overall, 3-2-0 WMC) is on a five-game losing streak. The Vikings, who have battled injuries and such, have been outscored 32-0 during that span.
- Montague sophomore Ava Pelton opened the scoring with a goal off a corner kick. She made it 2-0 on an assist by senior Ana Trevino. Pelton completed the hat trick early in the second half to give the Wildcats a 6-0 lead, when she was credited with the tally on a Whitehall own goal. Pelton was named the CatchMark SportsNet Game of the Week Player of the Game.
- Trevino finished with two goals and an assist for Montague.
- Montague sophomore Braylyn Bultema’s header late in the first half made it 3-0. She also netted the game-ending goal with 24:18 left in the second half.
- Montague junior Allyson Balder notched a goal and an assist.
- Montague senior Emma Peterson and freshman Lilly Rice added assists.
- Next up: Montague visits Oakridge Wednesday (May 3) and travels to Fruitport Friday (May 5). Whitehall hosts Orchard View on Wednesday and visits Western Michigan Christian on Thursday (May 4).
- Last season, Whitehall defeated Montague, 4-0, en route to a second-place finish in the WMC. Montague took third in the conference in 2022.
Check out this highlights and reaction video from Monday’s matchup:
Track/ 10 hours ago
Top-ranked Whitehall boys track finishes MITCA Division 2 runner-up after early adversity
Injury to senior standout Nate Bolley at start of meet puts dent in Vikings'...
Girls Soccer/ 13 hours ago
See 2023 girls district soccer scores, brackets for West Michigan Conference teams
Scores and brackets will be updated as the districts progress.
Hot Seat/ 1 day ago
‘Hot Seat:’ Manistee girls track sprinters dash through questions to get to know them
Chippewas' Audrey Huizinga and Lacey Zimmerman enjoy their sit-down interview with CatchMark SportsNet's Tate...