Photos by Emily Vanderstelt for CatchMark
Manistee’s baseball team couldn’t get the bats going as it would have liked Thursday against visiting Mason County Central, but it didn’t matter.
The Chippewas’ pitching took command in a West Michigan Conference nondivisional sweep of the Spartans.
Manistee defeated Mason County Central, 3-2 in the first game and 3-1 in the second game.
Check out photos at the top of this story by CatchMark SportsNet student reporter Emily Vanderstelt. Below are video highlights and reaction from clips taken by Vanderstelt, as well as details on the games.
- In Game 1, Manistee’s Jeff Huber allowed two runs on four hits with seven strikeouts and two walks in six innings of work. Huber, the Chippewas’ leadoff hitter, also went 1-for-2 at the plate with a run scored.
- Donavyn Kirchinger was 2-for-2 at the plate for Manistee in the first game with two RBIs and one run scored.
- Adam Workman doubled in Game 1 for Manistee and he also scored a run.
- In Game 1, Will Chye took the loss for Mason County Central. He allowed three runs on six hits with five strikeouts and no walks in five innings of work.
- Chye also doubled in the first game for the Spartans, as did Braylin Thurow and Kaden Ruiz. Thurow and Ruiz drove in runs, while Thurow and Simon Shimel scored runs.
- In Game 2, Keegan Shannon picked up the pitching win for Manistee with a strong performance. He allowed one unearned run on two hits with three strikeouts and four walks in 5 1/2 innings.
- Huber notched the save for the Chippewas in the nightcap. He allowed one hit with one strikeout in two-thirds of an inning. Huber also scored a run.
- Workman had two hits, one a triple, and he drove in two runs for Manistee in Game 2.
- Ethan Edmondson also had two hits for the Chippewas in the second game and he scored a run.
- Ruiz took the Game 2 loss for Mason County Central. He allowed three runs (two earned) on four hits with three strikeouts and three walks in five innings of work.
- Eathen Huffman went 2-for-3 in the second game to lead the Spartans. He also had an RBI.
- Peyton Merz scored the lone Mason County Central run in Game 2.
- With the two wins, Manistee improves to 19-13 overall on the season. The Chippewas are 4-6 in the WMC Lakes Division entering a home doubleheader against Orchard View today (May 26).
- Mason County Central is now 19-9 overall. The Spartans finished 10-2 in the WMC Rivers Division, good for second place.
/ 12 hours ago
Packers senior is setting the pace in the WMC Lakes Division for cross country...
/ 15 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
/ 16 hours ago
Straight Line Design along with Latsch Floor & Kitchen sponsored the experience for the...