Photos by Laura Moat for CatchMark
MUSKEGON — North Muskegon and Oakridge are two of the better teams in West Michigan Conference baseball not only this season, but in most seasons.
The Norsemen and Eagles certainly put on a show during the “Friday Night Lights” series at Marsh Field.
North Muskegon edged Oakridge in a pair of nonleague games, 5-4 and 2-1, Friday night at the historic ballpark.
Don’t miss the dozens of photos at the top of this story by CatchMark SportsNet contributor Laura Moat, or the video highlights and interviews below by CatchMark student reporter Emily Vanderstelt.
Here are more details and notables from the doubleheader:
- In Game 1, North Muskegon’s Ben Meyers went 2-for-3 with a double, two runs scored and an RBI.
- Sam Gallo sparked the Norsemen in the first game, going 2-for-4 with two RBIs.
- Carter Meiler was 2-for-3 with one run scored for the Norse in the first game.
- Troy McManus earned the pitching win for North Muskegon in Game 1. The left-hander allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits with six strikeouts and one walk in six innings of work. Ryan Delora picked up the save for the Norse, striking out a pair in one inning of work.
- For Oakridge, Michael Wambaugh went 2-for-4 with an RBI in the opener.
- In the first game, Oakridge’s Evan Miller tripled, scored two runs and drove in one.
- Arturo Romero-Serrano and Caleb Osinski scored runs for the Eagles in Game 1.
- Brody Jennings took the pitching loss for Oakridge in the first game. The right-hander allowed five runs on 10 hits with four strikeouts and three walks in 5 1/3 innings of work.
- In Game 2, Delora notched the pitching victory for the Norsemen. The right-hander allowed only one hit and struck out three in three innings of relief.
- Logan Slimko got the start for the Norse in the second game. He allowed one run on two hits with five strikeouts and five walks in four innings of work.
- Meyers went 2-for-2 at the plate in the second game for the Norse with a double and run scored.
- McManus was 2-for-3 in Game 2 for North Muskegon.
- Delora tripled in the second game for the Norsemen.
- Carsen Moat went 1-for-3 with a double and two RBIs in the nightcap for the Norse.
- For Oakridge, Matt Danicek pitched a gem in the second game but the Eagles could not manufacture enough offense. North Muskegon scored two runs in the sixth inning to overcame a 1-0 deficit. Danicek allowed two runs on six hits with three strikeouts and three walks in his six innings of work.
- Romero-Serrano was 1-for-2 with a run scored in the second game for Oakridge.
- Miller tripled and had an RBI in Game 2 for the Eagles.
- Osinski had the only other hit for Oakridge in the second game.
- Red-hot North Muskegon has now won 14 games in a row to improve its season record to 30-5-1 overall. The Norsemen rolled to the WMC Rivers Division title with a 12-0 record.
- Oakridge is now 13-10 overall on the season. The Eagles have a big doubleheader Tuesday (May 23) at Montague, which should decide the WMC Lakes Division championship. Oakridge and Montague enter the doubleheader with 8-2 divisional records.
- North Muskegon sophomore Kaylee Martin sang the National Anthem prior to Friday’s games. She knocked it out of the park. You can watch and listen here, courtesy of the North Muskegon Choir Facebook page: Kaylee Martin sings National Anthem
/ 1 hour ago
Mason County Central's Brian Beebe and North Muskegon's Jill Young win debuts at respective...
/ 6 hours ago
Defense sets the tone for Vikings in their 2-0 start.
/ 12 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org.