Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
WHITEHALL — It appeared one of two things would happen during a wild second game of the Montague-Whitehall softball doubleheader on Tuesday.
Either the scoreboard would run out of columns or the ballpark at Whitehall would run out of daylight.
The Wildcats and Vikings indeed put up some crooked numbers in their West Michigan Conference Lakes Division meetings.
After Whitehall claimed a 15-7 victory over Montague in Game 1, the teams played to a crazy 19-19, eight-inning tie in Game 2 before the back-and-forth contest was suspended because of darkness. The coaches agreed to complete the game at a later date.
Here are more details and notables from the games:
- In the first game, Whitehall scored nine runs in the sixth inning and finished the contest with 14 hits.
- In Game 1, Lianne Fagan led Whitehall’s offense by going 3-for-5 with two RBIs.
- Evie Darke, Megan LeaTrea, Taylor Ottinger and Hailey Carnes also had three hits each for the Vikings in the first game.
- Ottinger, Onnyka Dempsey and Lucy Tucker provided two RBIs apiece for Whitehall in Game 1.
- LeaTrea picked up the pitching win in the first game. She allowed four earned runs and struck out seven in a complete-game effort.
- In the first game, Montague had eight errors to Whitehall’s four.
- Alissa Wynn, Kiara Mikkelsen, Kennedy Johnson and Regan Cederquist each had multiple hits for Montague in Game 1.
- The second game featured a lot of everything: Runs (38), hits (21) and errors (15).
- In Game 2, Carnes had three hits and two RBIs for Whitehall.
- Dempsey had two hits, including a double, and three runs scored for the Vikings in the second game.
- Darke had two hits and two RBIs, and Annabel Kevwitch a triple with two RBIs in the second game for Whitehall.
- For Montague, Mikkelsen, Johnson, Cederquist and Maddie Kessler each had multiple hits in the second game.
/ 4 hours ago
The Montague Wildcats secured a decisive 3-0 victory against the Oakridge Eagles at Jack...
/ 5 hours ago
See where your team stacks up in the race.
/ 6 hours ago
See where your team stacks up in the respective divisional races.