MONTAGUE — Boys soccer teams from Montague and Whitehall kicked off rivalry week Wednesday with a West Michigan Conference match.
Led by Mayson Kelley’s two goals, Whitehall defeated Montague, 4-1.
Watch CatchMark SportsNet’s livestream replay at the top of this story, see photos by Kiara Mikkelsen here and check out video highlights and reaction at the bottom.
Photos by Kiara Mikkelsen for CatchMark
Here are notables and other details from the match:
- Whitehall senior Jack McDowell opened the scoring about nine minutes into the match on an assist by junior Kyler Frees.
- Montague appeared to have tied the match at 1, but a goal by junior Chris Aebig was disallowed.
- Kelley made it 2-0 late in the first half, then he extended Whitehall’s lead to 3-0 five minutes into the second half on an assist by senior Jack Houtteman.
- Montague got on the board 30 seconds after Kelley’s second goal, when junior Owen Raeth tallied on an assist by senior Kendal Degen.
- Houtteman put it away with about 20 minutes left on a beautiful, diving header off a corner kick by freshman Evan Jud.
- Whitehall outshot Montague, 22-11. Vikings sophomore keeper Andon Palmer made nine saves.
- With the win, Whitehall improves to 4-3-1 overall and 3-1-1 in West Michigan Conference play. The Vikings trail Ludington (5-0-0) and Manistee (4-1-0) in the conference standings. Whitehall lost to Ludington on Monday, 5-1.
- Whitehall takes the field again next Tuesday with a home conference match against Orchard View. Kickoff is set for 6:45 p.m.
- With the loss, Montague is now 4-9-1 overall and 2-3-1 in the West Michigan Conference.
- Montague is back in action next Tuesday on the road against Manistee. That one is set to start at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday’s soccer match was a prelude to Friday night’s “Battle for the Bell” football matchup between the neighboring rivals. Whitehall (3-0) hosts Montague (2-1) in a grudge match that kicks off at 7 p.m. Last season, the Vikings beat the Wildcats, 34-14, to win back the bell.
/ 7 hours ago
Savanna Owens, Abby Pretty continue to push as Pirates seek a record sixth straight...
/ 1 day ago
Take a trip around the league in Week 5.
/ 1 day ago
Orioles wipe out 14-0 halftime deficit to post 34-14 win in their home opener.