MONTAGUE — Laura Borras’ night was eventful enough when the exchange student from Spain helped power Montague’s volleyball team past rival Whitehall Tuesday in the Wildcats’ gym.
That was only Act 1. The second act featured even more drama, if it were possible.
Following Montague’s four-set victory, Montague junior Isaiah Atchison delivered a bouquet of flowers and a handmade poster to Borras. On the poster, in Spanish, Atchison asked Borras to attend Montague’s upcoming homecoming dance.
Of course, she said “yes.”
Borras spoke to media after the festivities with the help of a translator. The native of Bunyola, which is a municipality in Mallorca, Spain, has been a revelation for Montague’s volleyball team.
In Tuesday’s win over Whitehall, Borras recorded a team-high 18 kills to go with seven digs, two blocks and two aces. Whitehall won the first game, 25-17, but Montague rebounded to take the next three, 25-18, 25-19, 25-23.
Check out the CatchMark SportsNet livestream replay at the top of this story, as well as the photos and videos below.
Photos by Letisha Mikkelsen and Scott DeCamp
Here are notables and more details from Tuesday’s match:
- Montague improves to 12-14 overall and 3-0 in the West Michigan Conference Lakes Division.
- Whitehall is now 8-15-4 overall and 1-1 in the WMC Lakes.
- Montague senior Anastacia Trevino had 11 kills and two blocks.
- Montague sophomore Jaelyn Sundberg finished with 41 assists.
- Trevino and sophomores Maizie Collins and Ava Pumford added two blocks each for the Wildcats.
- Junior Kayla Mulder led Whitehall with 15 kills.
- Junior Arianna Black added 12 kills for the Vikings.
- Senior Chase Baker led Whitehall in passing and defensively she had 30 digs.
- Sophomores Sidney Shepherd and Bella Fogus added 40 assists and seven aces, respectively.
/ 1 hour ago
See where the teams stack up through games played Feb. 6.
/ 2 hours ago
Longtime athletic trainer and sports medicine manager for Trinity Health Muskegon has seen it...
/ 2 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email yor results to firstname.lastname@example.org.