Photos by Kiara Mikkelsen for CatchMark
In one of the more intriguing West Michigan Conference Week 5 football matchups, Ludington used a big second half to rally past Montague Friday night, 34-14, in the Orioles’ home opener.
Ludington trailed 14-0 at the half, but the Orioles scored 34 unanswered points in the second half to earn the big win and bounced back from last week’s 30-18 road loss to Oakridge.
Ludington improves to 4-1 overall and 2-1 in the WMC Lakes Division. Montague slips to 2-3 and 1-2, respectively.
Here are notables and more details from the game:
- Chase Hackert’s 49-yard touchdown pass to Aidan Gilchrist midway through the third quarter gave Ludington the lead for good at 21-14.
- Hackert finished 8-of-22 passing for 110 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions.
- Gilchrist made four receptions for 89 yards and a TD.
- Ludington senior Trey Forfinski rushed 19 times for a game-high 72 yards and two TDs.
- Ludington’s Gage Jones recorded a team-high 10 tackles and an interception. Forfinski and Levi Laman notched five stops apiece.
- Montague senior Chase Gowell completed 11 of 27 passes for 155 yards with one TD and two interceptions.
- Montague’s Adam Baird ran 16 times for 67 yards and one TD. Baird also made nine tackles.
- Montague’s Izac Jarka caught four passes for 66 yards with a TD.
- Jarka and Rodney Brassfield led the Wildcats defensively with 10 tackles apiece.
- Montague senior Michael Moore finished with nine tackles.
- Ludington enjoyed a 28:57-19:03 advantage in time of possession.
- Montague had three turnovers to zero for Ludington.
- Next week, Ludington hosts Manistee (3-2) while Montague hosts North Muskegon (3-2). CatchMark SportsNet will be livestreaming the Montague-North Muskegon game.
/ 1 hour ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
/ 1 day ago
Here are the events CatchMark SportsNet will be livestreaming Dec. 4-10, 2022.
/ 2 days ago
Individual portraits and team photos from all 14 squads in attendance.