NORTH MUSKEGON — North Muskegon’s football team is on a mission.
The Norsemen have their eyes on the program’s first conference title in more than 30 years and nothing seems to be slowing them down in West Michigan Conference Rivers Division play.
North Muskegon posted its fourth straight blowout victory, defeating visiting Hart 55-14 Friday night in the North Grove Brewers WMC Game of the Week.
Since a 24-22 season-opening loss to Muskegon Catholic Central, the Norse (4-1, 3-0 WMC Rivers) have outscored their last four opponents by a combined 200-20 margin — 146-20 in three divisional games.
Hart slips to 3-2 overall and 1-1 in the WMC Rivers Division.
Check out the CatchMark SportsNet livestream replay at the top of this story.
Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
Here are notables and other details from Friday’s game:
- North Muskegon outgained Hart in total offense, 414-144.
- North Muskegon led 35-6 at halftime and extended the margin to 55-6 early in the fourth quarter.
- North Muskegon sophomore quarterback James Young finished 17-of-19 passing for 275 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.
- North Muskegon sophomore TJ Byard led the receivers with 85 yards on three catches, including a 63-yard scoring connection with Young.
- Two other North Muskegon receivers had three catches, including Carsen Moat, who hauled in a 14-yard TD pass.
- North Muskegon senior Denny Belmonte ran the ball eight times for 31 yards, but three of his carries resulted in TDs. Those covered 16, 1 and 3 yards.
- North Muskegon senior Sam Gallo and junior Alec Newville paced the defense with 5.5 tackles each. Gallo recorded 3.5 tackles for loss. Norse sophomore Drew Bartos had four stops. Senior Kyle Huff notched an interception.
- Hart senior quarterback Trenton Swihart finished 3-of-10 for 57 yards with a TD and an interception.
- Hart sophomore Eman Hertzler made a fantastic catch in the end zone on a 23-yard pass, which went through a North Muskegon defensive back’s hands. Hertzler showed great concentration to pull in the TD pass.
- Hart senior Trayce Tate led all rushers with 49 yards on 10 carries.
- Swihart led the Pirates’ defense with 8.5 tackles.
- North Muskegon is seeking its first conference title since 1991, when it earned a share in the West Michigan Conference. The Norse’s last outright league title came in 1986.
- North Muskegon visits Montague (2-3) next Friday in a WMC nondivisional game. That one will be livestreamed on the CatchMark SportsNet YouTube channel. The following week, the Norsemen host Ravenna in what could decide the WMC Rivers Division title. The North Muskegon-Ravenna showdown will be the North Grove Brewers WMC Game and Week and that, too, will be livestreamed by CatchMark SportsNet.
- Hart visits Mason County Central (1-4) next Friday.
/ 16 hours ago
Defense sets the tone for Vikings in their 2-0 start.
/ 20 hours ago
Get the details from five Tuesday night contests reported to CatchMark.
/ 21 hours ago
Vikings junior totals 16 points, 23 rebounds, 6 blocks, 3 assists, and 1 steal...