Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
MUSKEGON — Troy McManus and Sam Gallo provided a nice outside-inside presence for North Muskegon’s boys basketball team Wednesday afternoon at Reeths-Puffer’s Dan Beckeman Arena.
The seniors powered North Muskegon to a 59-29 victory over Orchard View in the opening game of the 2022 Muskegon Area Sports Hall of Fame Holiday Classic.
McManus, a 6-foot-1 guard, drained four 3-pointers en route to a game-high 20 points. Gallo, a 6-3 forward/post, controlled the paint with 15 points and 10 rebounds.
The Norse’s victory avenged last year’s 61-53 loss to the Cardinals in the opener of the Hall of Fame Holiday Classic.
Here are notables and more details from the game:
- McManus added five rebounds and four assists for the Norsemen.
- North Muskegon built a 14-6 lead through one quarter and 34-16 advantage by halftime. Orchard View outscored North Muskegon 11-9 in the third, but the Norse pulled away even more in the fourth with a 16-2 run.
- In last year’s matchup between these teams in this event, Orchard View nailed a dozen 3-pointers, a combined nine of them by then-sophomores Delaney Oakes and Keith McAllister. In Wednesday’s rematch, the Cardinals managed only three total 3s.
- North Muskegon finished 17-of-22 from the free-throw compared to 4-of-6 for Orchard View.
- Lamarkis Graham scored seven points for the Norse, while James Young had six.
- BJ Sewell Jr. led Orchard View with 11 points, while Cari Flowers added nine.
- North Muskegon improves to 5-1 overall on the season. It’s the Norsemen’s fourth straight win.
- Orchard View slips to 2-4 overall on the season.
/ 16 hours ago
Defense sets the tone for Vikings in their 2-0 start.
/ 20 hours ago
Get the details from five Tuesday night contests reported to CatchMark.
/ 20 hours ago
Vikings junior totals 16 points, 23 rebounds, 6 blocks, 3 assists, and 1 steal...