MUSKEGON — Turns out, Oakridge’s football program does not like being referred to as the team “Up the Road” by neighboring rival Ravenna.
The Eagles dominated the visiting Bulldogs from start to finish, 48-6, in a running-clock victory Friday night at Russell A. Erickson Stadium in the North Grove Brewers West Michigan Conference Game of the Week.
Oakridge outgained Ravenna 383-121 in total offense, including a staggering 250 to minus-6 advantage in rushing yardage.
Watch the livestream replay at the top of this story, and check out two photo galleries and a highlights/reaction video, in which Eagles players comment on the “Up the Road” slight.
Photos by Bethany McCullough | CatchMark
Here are notables and more details from the game:
- Oakridge finished with 20 first downs to three for Ravenna. The Eagles had 13 first downs rushing to zero for the Bulldogs.
- Ravenna was penalized 10 times for 124 yards, while Oakridge had two infractions for 35 yards.
- Oakridge led 34-0 at halftime. Ravenna got on the board early in the third quarter on junior Drew Mabrito’s 63-yard touchdown reception from senior Hunter Hogan. Oakridge answered about a minute later on junior Trever Jones’ 10-yard scoring run that made it 41-6 and kicked off the running clock with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the third.
- Oakridge senior quarterback Matt Danicek was 10-of-16 passing for 133 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. He also ran 13 times for 79 yards and two more scores.
- Oakridge junior running back Trever Jones ran 14 times for a game-high 125 yards and three TDs.
- Oakridge sophomore Evan Miller caught three passes for 51 yards and two TDs.
- Oakridge junior Brody Jennings led his team defensively with 10 tackles, including one stop for a loss of 13 yards.
- Jones had five tackles with one sack and three stops for lost yardage.
- Oakridge senior Kyle Weaver had four tackles.
- Miller, senior Lorenzo Garcia and sophomore Bryson Stephenson all intercepted passes for Oakridge.
- Hogan, who mans the free safety spot for Ravenna, recorded a game-high 12 tackles.
- Ravenna sophomore Derek Finlay finished with nine tackles and an interception, while Mabrito made eight stops.
- Hogan finished 4-of-18 passing for 127 yards with one TD and three interceptions.
- Ravenna junior Blake Homoly had two catches for 65 yards to lead his team.
- Next Friday, Oakridge visits Montague in the North Grove Brewers WMC Game of the Week. CatchMark SportsNet will produce a free livestream of that contest on our YouTube channel. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. with the pregame show at 6:30.
- Ravenna wraps up the regular season next Friday at home against a surging Hart program.
Photos by Emily Vanderstelt for CatchMark
CANCER BENEFIT GAME
Friday marked Oakridge’s annual “Cancer Benefit Game,” in which the Eagles seek sponsorships and wear special jerseys as a fund-raiser for a charitable cancer organization.
In a touching moment following the contest, when Oakridge players presented those jerseys to the aforementioned sponsors, the Eagles presented a jersey to Ravenna senior football player Keigen Swan, who is in remission with leukemia and dressed in uniform for his third straight game Friday night.
During the ceremony at midfield, Oakridge sophomore Braydon Peterson presented his No. 79 jersey to Swan.
Below, watch a video that captured the moment. CLICK HERE for a recent story and video on Swan’s triumphant return to the football field after being diagnosed with leukemia about 11 months ago.
Check out CatchMark SportsNet’s TikTok content from Friday’s game:
/ 33 mins ago
Wildcats are off to a 2-1 start in the young season.
/ 20 hours ago
Vikings players Taylor Ottinger and Lianna Fagan and assistant coach Emily MacArthur pay homage...
/ 24 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to email@example.com.