Photos by Emily Vanderstelt for CatchMark
MUSKEGON – Oakridge’s football team didn’t do anything out of the ordinary en route to a 32-0 victory over visiting Shepherd in a Division 5 first-round playoff game Friday night.
A healthy dose of Trever Jones was more than enough.
The rugged junior running back carried the ball 26 times for 263 yards and all four of the Eagles’ touchdowns.
Oakridge (9-1) advances to next week’s district final against Belding (9-1), which defeated Howard City Tri County 56-30 in the first round.
Shepherd finishes its season with a 6-4 record.
Here are notables and other details from the Oakridge-Shepherd game:
- Oakridge outgained Shepherd, 418-143. The Eagles outrushed the Bluejays, 269-85.
- Jones got Oakridge on the board with a 1-yard run with 7:16 left in the opening quarter. He scored on a 22-yard run with 1:43 left in the first quarter, then he tacked on 2- and 3-yard scoring runs in the second quarter as the Eagles took command.
- Oakridge senior quarterback Matt Danicek continued his sharp play. He completed 9 of 12 passes for 149 yards with one interception. He had four two-point conversion passes.
- Oakridge sophomore Evan Miller caught four passes for 28 yards, while senior Chris Knapp made two catches for 82 yards.
- As if Jones didn’t do enough on offense, he led Oakridge defensively with nine tackles.
- Oakridge senior Riley Bean and junior Julian Primmer recorded six tackles apiece, while junior Brody Jennings made five stops.
- Miller and Danicek had interceptions for Oakridge.
- Shepherd’s Isaiah Riehl ran 19 times for 76 yards to lead his team.
- Shepherd quarterback Jude Moeggenborg completed 3 of 12 passes for 58 yards with two interceptions.
- Shepherd’s Maddox Woods led his team defensively with 11 tackles, while Reihl and Ashton Luckhardt made eight stops each.
Matt Tarket contributed to this report.
/ 14 mins ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to firstname.lastname@example.org.
/ 1 day ago
Here are the events CatchMark SportsNet will be livestreaming Dec. 4-10, 2022.
/ 2 days ago
Individual portraits and team photos from all 14 squads in attendance.