Photos by Scott DeCamp | CatchMark
MUSKEGON — This season has been a bit of a roller-coaster for Oakridge’s boys soccer team.
The Eagles are back on the upswing at the right time.
On a sun-splashed Saturday at Orchard View, Oakridge defeated Grand Rapids West Catholic, 4-1, in a Division 3 district final.
It’s the Eagles’ second district championship in three years. Last season, they lost a heartbreaker in the district finals to Howard City Tri County in a shootout.
Oakridge (12-8-1) advances to Tuesday’s 7 p.m. regional semifinal at Grand Rapids South Christian, where the Eagles will face Paw Paw (10-8-1). West Catholic closes with a 9-10-1 record.
Photos courtesy of Regina Maitner
Here are notables and more details from Saturday’s district finals match. Hear from Oakridge standout Arturo Romero and coach Greg Fleener in the tweet embedded below:
- Senior keeper Keegan Williamsen was perhaps the star of the game for Oakridge. He made 17 saves, one in a scrum in front of his goal with the Eagles clinging to a 2-1 lead with about eight minutes remaining.
- Oakridge junior scoring whiz Arturo Romero, who had a hat trick in Wednesday’s 6-2 district semifinal win over Orchard View, added two more goals and an assist against West Catholic. His tally with 19:48 remaining gave the Eagles the lead for good at 2-1. His goal on a direct kick with 6:33 left made it 3-1.
- Oakridge sophomore Isaac Willard broke the ice with a goal near the 28:30 mark of the first half, giving the Eagles a 1-0 lead.
- Oakridge senior Zack Maitner added an insurance goal with 16 seconds remaining for the 4-1 final score.
- Oakridge seniors Vance Cerchiori and Brayden Mahnke notched assists.
- West Catholic senior Martino Micheletti scored in the first half to tie the game at 1.
BOYS REGIONAL SOCCER SCHEDULE FOR WEST MICHIGAN CONFERENCE TEAMS
At Clare’s Brookwood Athletic Complex
Semifinals on Tuesday, Oct. 25: Manistee (16-3-0) vs. Alma (17-3-1), 5 p.m.; Elk Rapids (16-7-2) vs. Freeland (14-8), 7 p.m.
Finals on Thursday, Oct. 27: Semifinal winners, 7 p.m.
At Grand Rapids South Christian
Semifinals on Tuesday, Oct. 25: Holland Christian (16-1-3) vs. Grand Rapids Catholic Central (15-2-1), 5 p.m.; Oakridge (12-8-1) vs. Paw Paw (10-8-1), 7 p.m.
Finals on Thursday, Oct. 27: Semifinal winners, 6 p.m.
/ 3 hours ago
Nick Thaler picks up victory in first game as Montague's boys basketball coach.
/ 3 hours ago
West Michigan Conference coaches: Please email your results to email@example.com.
/ 23 hours ago
David Shillinger pours in 40 points as Ludington rallies past Grant and pulls away.